Filipen dula ulmaria
• Character Cool, moist and drying.
• Parts Used Aerial parts.
• Constituents Volatile oil, salicylates, glycosides, flavonoids, tamiins, coumarin and Vitamin C.
• Actions Anti-inflammatory, diuretic, anti-rheumatic, diaphoretic, analgesic, antacid. astringent, and anti-emetic.
• Contra-indications none.
• Cultivation Divide roots in Spring. Likes to grow near water. Semi-shade. Cream scented flowers in late summer.
• Infusion Drink warm to bring on perspiration and help lower fevers. Use for ulcers and other digestive disorders such as gastritis, heartburn and aced stomach. It acts to protect and soothe the mucus membranes, ease nausea and reduce excess acid. Dosage: 1-2 teaspoons dry herb to one cup of water 3-5 x daily.
• Tincture Used in combination with other herbs for arthritis and rheumatism. Will act as an antacid. Dosage: 1-3 ml. 3 x daily.
• Syrup Use with children suffering from diarrhea, stomach upset, fever. In combination for ulcers.
• Compress Silica makes this a useful treatment for the skin or mucus membrane wound.
• Eyewash Combine with other herbs for conjunctivitis.