Siberian Ginseng-Ci wu jia-Eleutherococcus senticosus
Eleuth erococcus senticosus
• Character: warm, sweet, acrid.
• Parts Used: bark of the root.
• Constituents: eleutherosides (glycosides and other compounds), essential oil, resin, starch Vitamin A.
• Actions: antirheumatic, adaptogen, antisposmadic, immunomodulator.
• Contra-indications: None known.
• Cultivation: difficult and slow (two years) to germinate. Will grow as a perennial in zones 5-7. Three years growth can be harvested and used.
• Decoction: Drink along with nervines to treat stress related conditions. Use for a number of months to gain energy and combat wasting conditions. Ideal for use in those suffering from immunilogical disorders such as chronic fatigue. Dosage: 1 T. 3 x daily.
• Tincture: Used by athletes to increase stamina and decrease recovery time. Wonderful herb to combine with menopausal formulas for the adaptogen qualities. 2 ml. 3 x daily.
• Wine: Another possible application.